She attended Santa Maria del Camino School and trained as a teacher at the ESCUNI University School, where she qualified as an primary education teacher, with a specialization in English in 1986. She then returned to her alma mater, Santa Maria del Camino School, where she worked as a English teacher for one year. After that, she took a sociology and education course at Exeter University, and completed her education at Comillas Pontifical Univserity, earning a degree in Education in 1993.
When the young Infanta became of age in 1981, she began to take part in activities of the Royal Family such as foreign heads of states visits to Spain, traveling officially to places like Germany, England, The USA, Argentina Japan, and the Philippines, more often than not she presided over various cultural events both abroad and in Spain.
In 1995, she married Jaime de Marichalar y Saenz de Tejada, and was granted the duchary of Lugo upon the occasion by her father. Together, they have two children:
- Don Felipe Juan de Marichalar y Borbón(17 July 1998)
- Doña Victoria Federica de Marichalar y Borbón (9 September 2000)
- Don Juan Valentin de Todos los Santos Yrdangarian y de Borbón (1999, her nephew via her sister Infanta Cristina)
- Prince Achileas-Andreas of Greece (2000, son of her 1st cousin, Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece)
- Don Miguel Urdangarin y de Borbon (2002, son of her sister, Infanta Cristina)
- Master Carlos Morales y de Grecia (2005, son of her 1st cousin, Princess Alexia of Greece)