She grew up at 1B Tuengen Allé in the district of Vinderen in Oslo and completed her lower secondary schooling in 1954. She received a diploma in dressmaking and tailoring at the Oslo Vocational School, as well as a diploma from École Professionelle des Jeunes Filles in Lausanne,Switzerland. There, she studied accounting, fashion design, and social science. She also attended the University of Olso, where she earned a degree in French, English and Art History.
- Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise of Norway
- His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway (1973)
- Marius Borg Høiby (stepson, 1997)
- Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (2004)
- His Highness Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway (2005)
In accordance with their own wishes, King Harald and Queen Sonja were consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim on 23 June 1991. In connection with the consecration ceremony, the King and Queen conducted a 10-day tour of Southern Norway. The following year, the entire Royal Family conducted a 22-day tour of Norway’s four northernmost counties.