- HRH Princess Lalla Meryem (b.1962)
- HRH Princess Lalla Asma (b.1965)
- HRH Princess Lalla Hasna (b.1967)
- HRH Prince Moulay Rachid (b.1970)
In 1987, Mohammed obtained his first Certificat d'Études Supérieures (CES) in political sciences, and in July 1988 he obtained a Diplôme d'Études Approfondies (DEA) in public law. In November 1988, he trained in Brussels with Jacques Delors, then-President of the European Commission.The King obtained his PhD in law with distinction on 29 October 1993 from the French University of Nice Sophia Antipolis for his thesis on "EEC-Maghreb Relations". On 12 July 1994, he was promoted to the military rank of Major General, and that same year he became President of the High Council of Culture and Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Moroccan Army. On 23 July 1999, he succeeded his father as king, being enthroned in Rabaton 30 July.
On 21 March 2002, he married Salma Bennani (now HRH Princess Lalla Salma) in Rabat. . They have two children:
- Crown Prince Moulay Hassan(8 May 2003)
- Princess Lalla Khadija ( 28 February 2007)